ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
Raphael – The Prince of Painters
This course will examine the extraordinary career of one of the most important painters in history – Raphael Sanzio da Urbino – better known simply as “Raphael.” Along with Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo, Raphael heralded in the period known as the High Renaissance. Combining grace, elegance and beauty, Raphael defined the standard for idealized painting. His balanced and harmonious compositions became the visual definition for what was described as “academic painting” in 18th-century France.
We shall follow in the footsteps of the artist to trace his short but prolific career not only through the sublime art of his paintings, but also through his architectural designs, archeological expertise, and tapestry cartoons.
- To bring a historical figure to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced by the artist throughout the entirety of his career.
- To understand the role that the historical context of Raphael’s life had on his extraordinary artistic production.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of High Renaissance Italian painting at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art – which in the case of Raphael are some of the most beautiful in history – and their surroundings.
Virtual Classroom: Full access to an online educational platform with discussion forum, videos of recordings, syllabus, and readings.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Readings to be provided to students in PDF format prior to the beginning of course.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE