Church of Orsanmichele, Florence
The medieval-grain-market-turned-church of Orsanmichele in Florence, Italy, was the commercial heart of the Renaissance city. Begun in 1337, the ground floor was originally a loggia-style market, before being closed in when the building was transformed into a church. The major guilds of Florence were assigned the task of decorating the inside of the new church with paintings of their respective patron saints and the outside of the building with statues. Produced by some of the greatest artists of the Renaissance, such as Donatello, Ghiberti, and Verrocchio, each statue reflects the changing artistic styles of the day as well as the socio-economic importance of their guild patrons. Buona visita!
Other Upcoming Events
On-Line/Live EventONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE | “Dreams of Arcadia and Victorian Fantasies: Italy in the American Imagination” with Dr. Mary Ann Calo LIVE COURSEJanuary 8, 2024 3 weeks$110.00 RegisterBoca Raton, FLFLORIDA ITALIAN RENAISSANCE ACADEMY | “Three Renaissance Giants: Leonardo, Michelangelo and Raphael”February 22, 2024 2 Days$675.00 RegisterOn-Line/Live EventBUNDLE ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE | “The Divine Michelangelo: His Life and His Works” with Dr. Rocky Ruggiero LIVE COURSEDecember 4, 2023 6 weeks$395.00 Register