ONLINE LANGUAGE COURSE
Italian for Beginners
My goal is to teach the vocabulary that is most useful for Americans traveling to Italy and that by the end of the six weeks, people who work on the material and practice will be able to form simple sentences in the present tense that describe themselves, how they feel, what they would like, and navigate a restaurant and medical facility in Italy.
Erin McCarthy King, Ph.D. has been teaching Italian Language and Literature since 2004. Erin earned a combined B.A. and M.A. in Italian Language and Literature from Yale University in 1998 and then her Ph.D. from Yale in 2009. She has taught Italian as a Lector at Yale and as an Instructor at Sacred Heart University, Southern Connecticut State University, Quinnipiac University, The Hopkins School, and is currently an affiliate faculty member at Fairfield University. Erin has published several articles, including “The Voyage of Columbus as a ‘non pensato male’: The Search for Boundaries, Grammar, and Authority in the Aftermath of the New World Discoveries” © 2012, and has presented several conference research papers including “The Logic of the Clock: Dante’s Similes of the Horologe in Paradiso X and XXIV” and most recently, “Language and the Expansion of the Ecumene in the Mondo nuovo of Tommaso Stigliani.” Erin serves as an alumna interviewer for Yale College Admissions and as a member of the Yale Alumni Schools Committee. In her spare time, Erin and her husband are very busy parents to their four children.
- VOCABULARY: Practice pronunciation, discuss uses, cognates, homonyms
- GRAMMAR TOPIC: Present the grammar in a PowerPoint and show some practice exercises
- BREAKOUT ROOMS: Students will pair with partners, do one grammar practice and one conversation prompt using the vocabulary
- REVIEW: Review the grammar practice and select a few groups to present their conversations
Virtual Classroom: Full access to an online educational platform with discussion forum, videos of recordings, syllabus, and exercises.
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE LANGUAGE CLASSES
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE