ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
“Botticelli: Defining Grace”
Alessandro Filipepi, better known as “Botticelli,” was one of the most important painters of the Italian Renaissance. During his 40-year career, Botticelli imbued a wide variety of subjects with unparalleled grace. He also revolutionized traditional Renaissance iconography with the introduction of mythological subject matter. This monograph course will explore Botticelli’s career from his apprenticeship to the great Fra Lippo Lippi, through his association with the Medici family, his trip to Rome as an artistic ambassador, his groundbreaking mythological paintings, and to the final mysterious years of his life which may have been marked by a profound spiritual crisis brought on by the influence of Fra Girolamo Savonarola.
- To bring a historical figure to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced by the artist throughout the entirety of his career.
- To understand the role that the historical context of Botticelli’s life had on his extraordinary artistic production.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of early Renaissance Italian painting at turn of the 15th and 16th
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art – which in the case of Botticelli are some of the most beautiful in history – and their surroundings.
Virtual Classroom: Full access to an online educational platform with discussion forum, videos of recordings, syllabus, and readings.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Readings to be provided to students in PDF format prior to the beginning of course.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE