ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
Italian Art and Architecture: Giotto to Michelangelo (1300-1564)
This course will explore the development of art and architecture in Italy from the late Middle Ages through the High Renaissance. Through an in-depth analysis of the art, architecture, and history of these periods, we shall develop an understanding of Italy’s role in the overall development of Western civilization. Particular emphasis will be given to those Italian cities that exhibit particularly well-integrated conceptions of painting, sculpture, and architecture.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian Renaissance art and architecture.
- To bring a historical period to life through a “hands on” approach to the monuments and works produced during this specific period known as the Renaissance
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art and their surroundings
Virtual Classroom: Full access to an online educational platform with syllabus, videos of recordings, reading list, podcasts, discussion forum, and more.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Examination and assignments:
OPTIONAL FINAL EXAM – The format of the exams will consist of short essay analyses.
John T. Paoletti and Gary M. Radke, Art in Renaissance Italy, 4th Edition.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE
- PARTICIPANTS ARE FREE TO ATTEND EITHER CLASS TIME