ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
The Renaissance in Northern Italy
This course will examine the art and architecture of Northern Italy during the late Middle Ages and Renaissance. Although Florence and Rome are usually considered to be the centers of Renaissance art, many cities north of the Apennines were also centers of extraordinary artistic production. Many believe that this was the result of an artistic “contamination,” as many of Florence’s greatest artists, such as Giotto, Donatello, Alberti and Leonardo da Vinci, traveled to northern cities, exposing them to the ideas and movements of the Renaissance. Cities such as Parma would instead produce their own local geniuses such as Correggio and Parmigianino, whose work would rival that of any central Italian master. Regardless of the reason, by the end of the 15th century, much of Italy’s greatest art was being produced in cities that are better known today for their industry or culinary traditions. By examining this art and history firsthand, we will define the meaning of the Renaissance in Northern Italy.
- To bring a historical period and geographic period to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced in Northern Italy during the late Middle Ages and Renaissance.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian art from the late early to the late 16th Century.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation
- To understand the role that Northern Italian art played in defining the Italian Renaissance.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of Italian Renaissance art and architecture, particularly those that are less celebrated but by no means less important.
Virtual Classroom: Full access to an online educational platform with discussion forum, videos of recordings, syllabus, and readings.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Examination and assignments:
OPTIONAL FINAL EXAM – The format of the exams will consist of short essay analyses.
Readings to be provided to students in PDF format prior to the beginning of course.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE
- PARTICIPANTS ARE FREE TO ATTEND EITHER CLASS TIME