ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
The Genius of Leonardo da Vinci
This course will focus on the extraordinary artistic genius of Leonardo da Vinci. Through an in-depth and nearly exhaustive analysis of selected works of art from throughout Leonardo’s career, students will acquire a profound understanding of the contributions, achievements, and failures of this most unique of historical figures.
Particular emphasis will be given to those works of art that best define our collective image of Leonardo, as well as those that stand as milestones in the history of art.
- To bring a historical figure to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced by the artist throughout the entirety of his career.
- To understand the role that the historical context of Leonardo’s life had on his extraordinary artistic and scientific production.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian art from the late 15th to the early 16th centuries.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art – which in the case of Leonardo da Vinci are some of the most iconic in history – and their surroundings.
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM: Full access to an online educational platform with discussion forum, videos of recordings, syllabus, and readings.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Examination and assignments:
OPTIONAL FINAL EXAM – The format of the exams will consist of short essay analyses.
Readings to be provided to students in pdf format prior to beginning of course.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE
- PARTICIPANTS ARE FREE TO ATTEND EITHER CLASS TIME