ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
Discovering Donatello: His Life, Works, and Legacy
This course will focus on the extraordinary artistic genius of the 15th-century sculptor Donatello. Through an in-depth analysis of selected works of art from throughout his prolific career, students will acquire a comprehensive understanding of the artistic vision of an artist whose range of expression is without equal in history. We shall also discuss the historical context of the artist’s life and those patrons who helped shape his career; as well as Donatello’s relationship to contemporary artists such as Filippo Brunelleschi, Masaccio, and Lorenzo Ghiberti.
Particular emphasis will be given to those works of art that served as inspiration for artists of later generations such as Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo, Caravaggio, and Bernini, as well as those works that stand as singular milestones in the history of art.
- To bring a historical figure to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced by the artist throughout the entirety of his career.
- To understand the role that the historical context of Donatello’s life had on his extraordinary artistic production.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian art from the late 14th to the middle of the 15th century.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art – which in the case of Donatello are some of the most innovative in history – and their surroundings.
Virtual Classroom: Upon registration, participants will have full access to an online educational platform with videos of recordings, syllabus, readings and discussion forum. Each lecture lasts 1 hour 15 minutes.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Access: Students have lifetime and unlimited streaming access to the course content.
Supplemental Readings & Podcasts:
Readings and Podcasts are provided to students to enhance the course experience.