ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
Ten Italian Cities
This course will examine the unique artistic and historical identities of ten Italian cities that helped shape the course of Western civilization from Antiquity through the early modern period. Each of these cities enjoyed periods of political, economic, and cultural prominence and left an indelible thumbprint upon history. Much of the extraordinary artistic and architectural production that accompanied each city’s “golden age” still survives today and serves as testimony to their former greatness.
- To bring historical cities to life through a “hands on” approach to the works of art that best define their uniqueness.
- To understand the role that the historical context of each city’s formative period had on its development.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian art from ancient through Baroque.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art and architecture and their surroundings.
Virtual Classroom: Upon registration, participants will have full access to an online educational platform with videos of recordings, syllabus, readings and discussion forum. Each lecture lasts 1 hour 15 minutes.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Access: Students have lifetime and unlimited streaming access to the course content.
Supplemental Readings & Podcasts:
Readings and Podcasts are provided to students to enhance the course experience.