Bernini: The Art of the Sublime
This course will examine the extraordinary career of the artist credited with inventing Baroque sculpture. Bernini’s superb skill at magically transforming stone into what appears to be malleable flesh is nothing less than incredible. Yet, Bernini’s vision went beyond sculpture and into the field of monumental architecture. His inventiveness and skill produced some of the greatest marvels of Baroque Europe. By exploring the career and works of this great artist, we shall come to understand how Gian Lorenzo Bernini invented the art of the sublime.
- To bring a historical figure to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced by the artist throughout the entirety of his career.
- To understand the role that the historical context of Bernini’s life had on his extraordinary artistic production.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian art from the late 16th to the end of the 17th century.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art – which in the case of Bernini are some of the most innovative in history – and their surroundings.
Virtual Classroom: Upon registration, participants will have full access to an online educational platform with videos of recordings, syllabus, readings and discussion forum. Each lecture lasts 1 hour 15 minutes.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Access: Students have lifetime and unlimited streaming access to the course content.
Supplemental Readings & Podcasts:
Readings and Podcasts are provided to students to enhance the course experience.