ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
Caravaggio: The Cursed Painter
This course will examine the extraordinary career of one of the most influential painters in history – Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio. Known as the pittore maledetto – or the “cursed painter”, Caravaggio not only revolutionized painting at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries with his “hyper-realistic” style, he also literally turned Rome on its head with his often-criminal behavior. Spending much of his time between brothels and taverns, Caravaggio’s love of the vulgar and violence became his primary artistic inspiration. His paintings would often reflect his sociopathic tendencies, frequently depicting Christian subjects in entirely inappropriate ways. We shall follow in the footsteps of the artist to recount his unique and dramatic biography, but also to explore the sublime art of his paintings.
- To bring a historical figure to life through a “hands on” approach to the works produced by the artist throughout the entirety of his career.
- To understand the role that the historical context of Caravaggio’s life had on his extraordinary artistic production.
- To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Baroque Italian painting at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries.
- To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
- To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art – which in the case of Caravaggio are some of the most innovative in history – and their surroundings.
Virtual Classroom: Full access to an online educational platform with discussion forum, videos of recordings, syllabus, and reading list.
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Readings to be provided to students in PDF format prior to the beginning of course.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE