ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
Antiquity to the Medici: Art, Architecture, and History
This course traces the art, architecture and historical events in Italy from Roman Antiquity through the early Renaissance. Through an in-depth analysis of selected works of art and architecture from throughout Italy, along with those social, economic and political factors that helped shape them, students will acquire a profound understanding of Italian culture from ancient times to their reflowering in the Renaissance. Particular emphasis will be given to those Italian cities that contributed significantly to the shaping of an Italian cultural identity, which in turn serves as a major pillar of western civilization.
• To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian art and architecture from antiquity through the early Renaissance.
• To bring a historical period to life through a “hands on” approach to the monuments and works produced during this specific period known as the Renaissance.
• To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation.
• To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art and their surroundings.
NEW! VIRTUAL CLASSROOM: Full access to an online educational platform with forum, videos of recordings, syllabus and readings.
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Location: LIVE INTERACTIVE ON-LINE ART HISTORY LECTURES
Examination and assignments:
OPTIONAL FINAL EXAM – The format of the exams will consist in slide identifications with short answer questions, multiple choice questions, term definitions and short essay analyses.
Readings to be provided to students in pdf format prior to beginning of course.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE
- PARTICIPANTS ARE FREE TO ATTEND EITHER CLASS TIME