ONLINE ART HISTORY COURSE
The Divine Michelangelo: His Life and His Works
Michelangelo Buonarroti’s artistic career spanned more than seven decades, during which he produced some of the most extraordinary works of art in history. Dividing his time between his native city of Florence and his adopted city of Rome, the “Divine Michelangelo,” as he was known, was the first true master of the major artistic disciplines of sculpture, painting, and architecture. This course will examine his epic life using milestone works of art and architecture to illustrate the chapters of his artistic biography.
• To learn to appreciate the rich and influential aspects of Italian Renaissance art and architecture.
• To bring a historical personality to life through a careful and attentive analysis of his artistic career
• To develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis that include formal analysis and iconographic interpretation
• To develop an ability to interact in a personal and intimate manner with works of art and their surroundings
Credits: Certificate of Completion
Examination and assignments:
OPTIONAL FINAL EXAM – The format of the exams will consist in slide identifications with short answer questions, multiple choice questions, term definitions and short essay analyses.
William E. Wallace, Michelangelo: The Artist, the Man and His Times, New York, 2010.
Complete syllabus will be provided upon registration.
- ALL LECTURES WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT YOUR CONVENIENCE IN OUR VIDEO LIBRARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE COURSE
- PARTICIPANTS ARE ALLOWED TO SWITCH SECTION AT THEIR OWN CONVENIENCE